Personal Information & Privacy for Patients
The San Day Surgery Hornsby is a division of Adventist HealthCare Limited (AHCL). The following AHCL policy applies to Personal Information and Privacy.
Adventist HealthCare Limited (AHCL) recognises and respects every patient’s right to privacy. We will collect and use the minimum amount of personal information needed for us to ensure that you receive a high level of health care. AHCL will always endeavour to manage your information to protect your privacy.
This includes both paper and electronic records.
Personal information we usually hold:
- Your name, address, telephone and email contact details
- Health fund details
- Date and country of birth
- Next of kin
- Health information
- The name and contact details of your General Practitioner and your referring doctor
- Returned Service information
- Religious beliefs or affiliations (if provided)
- Marital status
- Transaction details associated with our services
- Indigenous status and language spoken at home (for the Department of Health)
What we do with personal information:
- We will collect it discreetly.
- We will store it securely.
- Subject to what we say in this section, we will only provide your personal information to people involved in your care.
- We will provide relevant information to your health fund, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Medicare Australia, Cancer Council, NSW Department of Health or to other entities when we are required by law to do so.
- After removing details that could identify you, we may use the remaining information to assist with research and service improvement projects. We are also required to provide this kind of information to government agencies.
- AHCL operates teaching hospitals and we may use personal information in the training and education of medical, nursing and other allied health students.
- We will destroy our record of your information when it has become too old to be useful or when we are no longer required by law to retain it.
- We may use the information to contact you. By providing your email address, we assume permission to use this address for administrative communications (for example, receipts) regarding your hospital visit.
- We may share your contact details with the Sydney Adventist Hospital (SAH) Foundation. The SAH Foundation provides patients with information, newsletters and details about fundraising appeals. The SAH Foundation may use the information to contact you.
AHCL is a Christian organisation and we are committed to holistic care, including your spiritual needs while you are receiving care.
Chaplains and Spiritual Caregivers are part of our care team and accredited community representatives regularly visit our hospitals.
You may request a visit from a representative of your faith, or you may request that no chaplain or visiting faith representative call on you while you are a patient in an AHCL hospital.
Newsletters and other mailed information
In the future AHCL and/or the SAH Foundation may send you information about our programs, services and activities in the form of newsletters and details about fundraising activities. If you do not wish to receive this information, you may notify the Privacy Officer (see contact details at end of this section). Mail outs to you will cease as soon as possible after your notification.
- You may give consent for us to use your personal information to provide you with health care services, or you may withdraw your consent at any time. If you withdraw consent for AHCL to use your personal information, this may reduce our ability to provide you with services.
- You may ask us to limit access to your information. You may separately a) refuse to be seen by a chaplain or representative of your faith while in hospital, b) refuse to have your Discharge Summary sent to your General Practitioner or c) refuse to receive information about future AHCL events, services and fundraising appeals by signing the ‘Use of Personal Information’ form. These forms are available on admission or through the Privacy Officer (see contact details at end of this section).
- If you have a specific requirement for restricting access by someone to your information please also inform us about this as soon as possible.
- You may ask us to give you (or another individual) access to your personal information. In most cases we will allow you to have access to your personal information. We may also provide a person to assist you and we may charge a fee for providing printed copies of reports.
- We may not provide you (or your responsible person) with access to your personal information if a doctor feels that it may be harmful to do so.
- You may ask us to correct any error in your personal information.
- You may make a privacy-related complaint if you feel that the Hospital has not kept your information confidential or has not maintained your privacy.
Privacy Contact Details
San Day Surgery Hornsby
Phone: (02) 9476 2900
or write to:
The Privacy Officer
San Day Surgery Hornsby
1a Northcote Rd, Hornsby, NSW, 2077
You may contact the Privacy Commissioner if you are not satisfied that the Hospital has resolved your complaint.
Please refer to our Patient Rights & Responsibilities section for further information on Patient Rights.
Click here to download the Personal Information & Privacy for Patients brochure.