Making you and your child comfortable
The San Day Surgery Hornsby is experienced in Paediatric surgery and is licensed to care for children over the age of two years.
We understand that having surgery can be stressful for both parents and children, and our aim is to make you feel at ease.
Visit us before admission
To help prepare for theatre, there is a special orientation for children undergoing surgery. An appointment for a paediatric orientation tour can be made on the day of booking.
What to Bring
- The original signed Consent Form and completed Patient History Form for your child
- Any X-Rays or results of tests relevant to your child’s condition
- Medications your child would normally take during the day
- Medicare and Health Fund details
- If they wish your child may come in their own pyjamas or dressing gown, or wear loose and comfortable clothes on the day of surgery
- It is advisable to bring a spare set of clothes, including underwear.
- Please bring items necessary to settle your child such as pyjamas, bottle, dummy, nappies or a favourite toy
Children must not eat for 6 hours before their scheduled time of admission, or as specifically ordered by their surgeon. Small sips of water are allowed up to 2 hours before their admission time.
Staying with your child
Wherever practical, parents or guardians are permitted to stay with your child until the anaesthetic has been administered in the operating room. Post operatively, you can be present as soon as your child’s condition permits it. Our staff will keep you well informed of their progress.
After the surgery
Your child will be provided with something to eat and drink following surgery, as appropriate to their condition.
Please consider the suitability of bringing other young children to the San Day Surgery Hornsby whilst your child is a patient with us. In the interest of our patients, and to enable you to devote time to your child after surgery, we advise that siblings do not come to the hospital with you, and that you make arrangements for the care of your other children.